Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Adventures in Baking

For Christmas, Kyle's parents gave my the Sweet Melissa Baking Book and since we've been *trying* to eat healthier, I've satisfied my sweet tooth by just reading the lovely recipes. Oh my gosh, they all look amazing!
Last weekend, Kyle, Janet and I piled into the car with the puppies and headed to my parent's house so that Kyle and Jan could ski. Given my terror of heights and of chairlifts in particular, skiing is not for me. At all. So I stayed home and finally cracked open the cookbook for some special Valentine's Day baking.
I personally think that the name of the holiday should be changed to "Eat Your Weight In Chocolate Guilt Free Day!" but I'm not sure it will catch on.
I decided to go with the "Fallen Souffle Cake" given my chocolate love and desire to learn a new culinary technique. I've never really worked with eggs in any fancy way before so I was particularly excited to learn how to make a meringue and was overjoyed when, with a lot of assistance from my Aunt Val, my eggs formed soft peaks! So cool! Sadly, the cake ended up being a bit overdone but it was still delicious, if not as pretty as it could have been. I can't wait to try the other amazing sounding treats from this book! So pleased!! Here's the entire process:

Chocolate Souffle Cake


1 comment:

Bedford said...

I didn't realize until this morning when I saw your Twitter post (I don't like to use "Tweet." that's taking the whole thing a little too far, I think) that you had been blogging again. My RSS must have dropped you, which is unacceptable.

Anyway, glad to see that the blog's back, and this dish looks yummy.