Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Amazing Year

I can’t believe that 367 days ago, Kyle and I got married!

This has truly been the greatest year of my life, and as Kyle said at our special anniversary dinner Saturday night, “Here’s to 70 more!”

For our anniversary, we spent a lovely weekend relaxing in Portland, ME. Portland was our stateside jumping-off point for our honeymoon to Nova Scotia and, while we thought that the city looked like a lot of fun, we didn’t have time last year to really explore.

Given that Kyle is a very patient man, he didn’t mind that I found a very local-friendly, well reviewed restaurant for our celebratory dinner – even when we had to take a 9:45pm reservation. Eating so late let us entertain the delusion that we’re not quite as old as we pretend when we’re at home. I actually found the restaurant by doing a search on LocalHarvest.

And so we ended up at Fore Street, and had one of the very best meals that I have ever had. Oh. My. Gosh. The FOOD!! It was SO good, and not just because we were eating so close to my bedtime. For whatever reason, the only pictures I have are from my phone and they don’t even begin to convey how amazing everything was.

We started dinner with a tomato goat cheese tart (very generous on the goat cheese which endeared me to them immediately) so good that I would consider having it for every meal for the rest of my life and I’m sure I wouldn’t get sick of it. Next came the main courses of yummy yummy Gulf of Maine halibut for me and Maine-raised venison for Kyle. We also got Maine garlic mashed potatoes and green beans almondine which were the least impressive offering of the night, though still good.

But the real achievement of the evening was dessert. There are not words for how good this dessert was, suffice to say that not only did I eat sweet corn ice cream, it was one of the most delicious things I’ve ever had and I can’t wait to figure out how to make it at home and eat it until my stomach pops like the Gluttony guy in 7even.

Dessert was a blueberry shortcake (really a cream puff covered in blueberries) served with the aforementioned sweet corn ice cream of awesomeness.

It truly was a perfect meal. I can’t express how blessed I am to have such a wonderful partner and I hope that we will have 70 more years of wonderful meals to celebrate this life we are building together.

No comments: