Thursday, January 22, 2009

Witnessing History - The BEST Part

We've been home for nearly 48 hours and I'm still trying to process the entire Inaugural experience. There's nothing that I can say that will adequately capture the incredible power of being there, among 1.8 million other Americans (and some Canadians waving flags like crazy right next to us!) to witness the Inauguration of President Obama. I'll leave the trite cliches to the media, some of whom captured the day for me but most of whom I felt did a disservice to the dream of Dr. King by declaring absolute victory when as a nation we are still far from the promised land. It goes without saying that President Obama was judged by the content of his character, and this makes me as proud of my fellow citizens as I can possibly be, yet it does not erase the social and economic injustices that prevail across the United States. I absolutely believe that President Obama can and will lead the country down a path towards greater justice and that we can see the true fulfillment of Dr. King's dream in my lifetime.
During the Inaugural Address I was struck by the fact that a candidate whose principles and policies I truly believe in was now assuming the presidency. During the election of 2004, I was unconvinced that this would ever be the case. Kyle and I have been excitedly following the political rise of President Obama since his speech at the DNC that year and I never thought that we'd arrive here so soon. I am SO excited and energized and look forward to following this Presidency with the voracity that some stalk Perez Hilton's celebrity gossip blog. As before, I think that our pictures capture things far better than I can. The rest are here.




2 comments:

Mary-Heather said...

I am tearing up!! :) I'm so glad that you guys went - what an AMAZING thing to witness!! Beautiful!

Doug Walo said...

Incredible! Memory for a lifetime for a historic and momentous occasion. I can't even begin to express my jealousy.