Thursday, January 24, 2008

Two Truths and a Lie

My second week of classes is done! Yay! Things are really shaping up to be very interesting this semester to say the very least. I def. came home several times ready to rant and rave about the totally insane things that people had said in class. Some of the things were unreal! So, instead of ranting and raving here, we'll play a little game. Can you tell which one is the lie?



  1. In a Politics class we were discussing a MA school that uses aversive therapy on severely autistic and mentally disabled children. The school uses negative reinforcement to alter behavior. Techniques include withholding food, sleep, and giving the children electric shocks. The question at hand was why the state legislature had been unable to stop what we essentially agreed was state funded child abuse. A fellow classmate then raised her had and said, "Um, I'm not sure I see the governments role in this. I mean, if parents choose to have their kids, like, abused or something, shouldn't we just let market forces act to get the school to close?" It took all my power not to punch her in the face.


  2. In an Epidemiology class, we were asked to complete a take home assignment. At the end of the class when the assignment was handed in, we broke into groups to go over the correct answers with a TA. One woman gave an answer that was very clearly incorrect and argued about it for ten minutes. It was painful, and I was embarrassed for her. It would be like if someone said that 2 x 2 = 6 and refused to accept that they were wrong. It was that basic of a concept. Ugg.


  3. This same crazy Epi girl decided that our TA was not up to snuff and stormed out of our room. She decided to join the group next door because our group was going too slowly. When that group was not giving her answers fast enough she yelled out, "I don't mean to be a bitch, but can't we go faster? I need to go."* When the TA didn't pick up the pace, she stormed out.

Now this is def. cheating because all three are true. And the most unbelievable thing of all is that I'M GETTING THE SAME DEGREE AS THESE PEOPLE.


On a lighter note, I finished knitting something this week!



It's pretty and pink and I kinda love it. I'm still not convinced I'm a hat person but with this I'm willing to give it a try!

3 comments:

M said...

i've heard about the school; it's disgusting. i definitely think you should have punched #1. did anyone say anything to her like, "you're a horrible person, and here's why"?

also, great hat! i love the colors.

Friar said...

it was one of those terrible situations where i wanted to say something but the prof. wanted to move things in another direction so she just let it drop. i HATE when, for the sake of avoiding conflict, profs don't hold students accountable for terrible statements. ugg.
the good news from our prof. is that there is a good chance the school with be forced to make some major changes pretty soon. of course, it's not soon enough.

Friar said...

opps! that last comment was really me (erica) and not kyle but i'm logged in as him. clearly i'm not getting any smarter over here!