Thursday, January 31, 2008

Save the Dates! Yay!

So I've decided that many many years from now, when I really want to torture the grandchildren with stories of my youth, I'll want to talk about our wedding. And I'll want the internet to stand as a witness that we actually did some pretty cool stuff (at least to me!). So tonight I'm going to share our Save the Dates.
*****************************************************
(If you'd rather be surprised about these details, no peeking!)
*****************************************************

I am SO excited that the vast majority are out of our hands and on their way to hopefully adorn the refrigerators of the people we love most in the world. We did them ourselves, which was something I was set on from the very beginning, and I'm very happy that we did!

First and foremost, I wanted to find a rubber stamp that would be the workhorse of our invitations and general wedding themeness (totally a word). After months of searching, I found one that I LOVED and it was totally on. Having never used stamps in a crafty way since elementary school, I had to gather all the needed supplies.



After making decisions about color, paper and font and gathering all the addresses we were ready to go. Until, of course, our printer decided to be a total pain in the ass and hate us and not want us to get married. I mean, what had we ever done to the printer to deserve hours of torture until Kyle had to hand feed every card while resisting every urge to through the thing out the window. Ugg.

Kyle, of course, has the patience of a saint and eventually we had a stack of beautifully printed cards.

Next came the stamping and embossing which were really fun! Every time the embossing powder melted and was all pretty I couldn't help but grin like an idiot. Yay!

As our very first DIY wedding project it was truly a learning experience. Having personally worked on every one of our Save the Dates made me feel like I was wonderfully invested in making our wedding just how we want it to be. Of course, it took three times longer than I had expected so next time I'll have to be sure to factor in all the "Murphy's Law" moments that are bound to pop up. Overall, though, I would do it again in a heartbeat!

1 comment:

Aunt Elaine said...

Hi Kyle and Erica.....It was great to view your blog. Never went on a blog before...I know get with it. Learned some great stuff about you two. NICE LOOK KYLE! It seems to suit you so well...in a good way, possible a long lost celtic nephew reincarnated!
Erica-so you can cook, bake, knit, quilt, craft....MARTHA< MARTHA< MARTHA! How do you find time? I am impressed. Didn't know you created the "save the date" cards too.
Fun to look at your lives! love you, Aunt Elaine