Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What's in a Name?

When I first started toying with the idea of blogging, I wanted to find a name that would really reflect me and not be totally cheesy or weird. I’ve always loved this poem, particularly when I’ve felt stressed or overwhelmed.

My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--
It gives a lovely light!
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Wanting to capture the fact that at the start of grad school this would probably be a good reflection of my life, Kyle helped me set up a site with the charming title Both Ends Burning*
I was still too shy to post, but I went to bed that night happy that I had at least taken one step in the right direction…and then sat bolt upright in bed, struck with the fact that a website called Both Ends Burning might be more fitting for a site dedicated to gastrointestinal ailments. Was this a blog of girl with IBS and a touch of the acid reflux? Or just some pathetic losers attempt at sounding not like a pathetic loser? The title would have to be changed immediately.
And since I was feeling nervous/shy about starting this in the first place, this embarrassing little realization scared me off of the idea for a good long time.
I’m now going to go with something inspired by Billy Joel. I heart him.

*Kyle would like me to clarify that he did not at any time endorse the use of a title which implied anterior and posterior inflammation.

1 comment:

Bedford said...

After we got disconnected the other night, I sang just about this entire song to Tom, because you're right...it's a great song and it's very you. Great choice, and I'm looking forward to reading more!


"Slow down, you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be
Before your time
Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight
Too bad but it's the life you lead
you're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong, you know
You can't always see when you're right. you're right"